Diabetes Education and care is available for people with diabetes and their carer. A Diabetes Educator can play a key role in the co-management of an individual’s diabetes by:
- assisting with individualised diabetes specific information and support
- supporting clients with clinical care including insulin stabilisation
- facilitating group education for people newly diagnosed with diabetes
- supply and maintenance of blood glucose meters & insulin devices
- assisting with continuous glucose monitoring systems
- providing information and support when commencing insulin pump therapy
- being a resource person for healthcare professionals
Care coordination for people requiring support to manage their diabetes is available through Complex Care - linking them into other key services and working together to have a plan for care.
Regular clinics are available:
- Diabetes Educator clinics - monthly in Penshurst, Coleraine, Casterton, Harrow & Balmoral.
- Diabetes Educator GP Medicare clinic - fortnightly at Hamilton Medical Group, Coleraine Medical Clinic and Casterton Medical Clinic.
- The Royal Children’s Hospital Outreach clinics – 3 monthly held by a visiting Paediatric Endocrinologist for local children and adolescents with diabetes.
Referrals are accepted from medical practitioners and other health professionals. Individuals may self-refer.
Last updated 19/08/16